Saturday, September 29, 2012

HQ New Image: Joe Anderson Interview On Alistar,"Twilight Saga" And Fav's Cullens Scene

Photobucket

Pagetopremiere How much did you know about Twilight before you auditioned or before you got the part?
Joe Anderson: I wasn’t living on Mars so I knew a lot about it. Friends of the family as well were a little younger than I am, young girls, and they were huge, huge fans so when they found out that I was going to have something to do with it, my street cred went through the roof. So there was a gathering and watching of films together and getting excited about it. I’d seen all of them (the movies) I think by the time I was shooting in Canada.

Does that mean you haven’t read any of them?

Joe: No, you know interestingly enough, no, I did pick around the books. The interesting thing with Alistair is that the way he is used in the film versus the books is slightly different. For me it was more about taking this rather aloof character and developing him. And as an outsider, you know I wasn’t part of the previous movies, so I sort of felt like I had a bit of room to kind of play with this guy because none of the other characters quite knew what to expect and what have you.  So it was quite freeing – quite fun to sort of go in there and really sort of invent something.

He’s (Alistair) a loner.  Except for his history with Carlisle, you almost wonder why he decided to come and join up with the Cullen’s.  He’s leaving pretty early on. Did you have an idea or did you talk to Stephenie about what his motivations were?

Joe: Yeah. It’s a really interesting question.  I think, obviously without giving too much away, that the notion of just a general sort of right and wrong.  One of things that serves Alistair is that he’s a tracker – his senses were quite strong. I think the reason for what he does is more to do with morality and right and wrong, and I think that he just doesn’t feel he is necessary because whatever will happen will happen.  But I think it will explain itself, without giving anything away, more clearly in the film.

As the images are coming out of the new vampires some of them are really quite striking, and I have to tell you when your shot of Alistair came up in the trailer I jumped and I was like, *gasp* ‘Oh my gosh!’ because I really didn’t expect them to show Alistair in the trailer. What was it like for you to see yourself in your full costume and makeup with the contacts the first time you saw yourself in character?

Joe: It’s a funny point actually. I was shooting another film at the same time so I had few a fittings. For me I love to get a hold of the costume and that stuff very early on so I can shape the physicality and what this character is. So that part for me was brief (due to shooting the other film).  By the time I actually got fully into the whole costume and the whole getup with the contacts and what have you, it was literally my first day on set. So I’m standing in the trailer sort of looking at what this sort of amounts to, and it was just so exciting to sort of feel it, but then you know to actually see it in the world and to see this thing you sort of created placed in that world and work…I feel like at least ‘I don’t stand out.’  It was an interesting thing.
The guy (Alistair) is aloof. He is an outsider. You want to make him slightly different, but, of course, he has to comply with certain rules we have in this world so I think it works. I hope it works.

I thought you looked great.


Were there any favorite moments during filming?

Joe: Yes, definitely.  To be perfectly honest, watching Bella train and learn out behind the Cullen’s house was an extraordinary day. We stood around and just watched quite an extraordinary little sequence.

I would pop in and out and I would do a few days here and then come back and do a few more days and then come back…and you know each time was like stepping into a circus where something amazing and extraordinary is happening even if it’s a lot of cast members – I don’t think I’ve been a scene with so many cast members sometimes in one film so even that dynamic when the covens were just in the room together was electric. Every day on the job was great one for me.

(..)

We hear a lot of weather stories from the Twilight cast members so did you just say to them, ‘Hey guys, this is nothing?’

Joe: I was in shorts and tee shirts in Squamish in January. I had done a few things in Canada back to back so my blood was thick at that point. I didn’t need my woolies.

You talked about having some family and friend that were Twilight fans. Were they the first people you were able to tell? Where were you and who was the first person that you told when you found out you were cast?

Joe: The first person was my wife. I was washing up, standing in the kitchen, and the phone rings and next thing you know you are off to tackle a vampire. That’s the best bit about it all.  Obviously the filming is amazing, but generally when you go for something and you want it and they come back and they want you too that’s fantastic. It doesn’t get much better than that. So it was good day, just standing in the kitchen washing up – nothing glamorous.




 Via Gossip_Dance

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...